Being a victim of crime is a frightening and unsettling experience. It is unpredictable, largely unpreventable and often unexpected. The effects can be long-term and difficult to overcome. Victim Services is here to help. Receiving support from Victim Services can:
- Assist victims, their families and friends with their recovery from the impact of crime and trauma.
- Assist a witness to a crime with their recovery.
- Enhance safety and prevent the risk of further victimization.
- Increase the level of participation and a victim’s sense of self-empowerment throughout their involvement in the criminal justice system.
- Help put at ease and increase the effectiveness of a witness in court proceedings.
Access to Victim Services comes through police referrals, other agency referrals and self-referrals by phone or in person.
“One never knows when tragedy can strike. When it does, one can only hope to find the resilience to get through it in one piece and be stronger as a result. It is people like you, with your kindness and consideration, who are helping to ease the pain.”
A Former Client